I ran into Rob Kline, a friend from the Richmond Hill Camera Club last weekend, and we got on the subject of photographing trilliums. We both agreed that they were difficult to shoot, not technically, but creatively.
Mary Ann's brother Phil and his friend Susan, were in town for a few days. Susan is a budding photographer, and had never seen trilliums before. So she was game for a little shooting on Monday. There is a terrific green space near our house that is generally blanketed with trillium this time of year.
As I mentioned, trilliums are not difficult to shoot, as long as you watch the whites, and don't blow the highlights. Watch the histogram! But the more I try to photograph them, the more boring the images tend to be. Would this year be any different?
The trillium patch grows under a canopy of oak trees, so the afternoon light was well diffused. But occasionally, a clearing in the canopy allowed some direct light to add some interest.
In addition, there are usually some unusual variations in the trillium patch. In previous years I have found some red ones, but I did not see any this year. But I did find a trillium with 4 petals.
In terms of creativity, I think I like the last one the best.
I'll have to send a copy of this blog entry to Rob to see if he is inspired by any of these images.
If you are reading this blog for the first time, don't forget to review the archives at the right side for earlier entries. And feel free to add a comment, as well as share this blog with your friends. If you have not already done so, please enter your email address in the "Follow my Blog by Email" box on the right hand side. It will be much easier for me to stay in touch with you. If you don't see a signup box on the right side, then click on the blog heading and that should take you to a webpage with better graphics. You should then see the signup box on the right side. If you have trouble signing up, send me an email at mark.girard@rogers.com.
Thanks for reading...
Mark






No comments:
Post a Comment